Selling a property can be a complex procedure. Whether it’s your first time, or you’re an experienced vendor, it’s very easy to forget the finer details and to feel overwhelmed. We are here to help you and have provided the following sale process list to assist you to better understand the sale process.
Steps to Selling
STEP 1 PRIOR TO LISTING
- Decide on a method of sale and consider the sale price
- Decide on an appropriate marketing/advertising campaign, remembering you don’t want to keep your house a secret, capturing the largest pool of potential purchasers is what we aim to do
- Sign our sale authority to allow us to act on your behalf
STEP 2 PRESENTING YOUR PROPERTY
- Prepare your house for photography and buyer inspections
- We prepare marketing campaign and advertising material
- Contact your legal representative to prepare your vendor statement
- We will conduct buyer appointments and open for inspections
- We will monitor and advise you of all feedback
- We will negotiate the best possible sale price for you
STEP 3 ACCEPTING THE OFFER
- Agree on the sale price
- Sign a contract of sale
- Provide tenants with a notice to vacate if sold with vacant possession
- Conditions of sale are met, may include building or pest inspection
- Cooling off period begins
- Contact legal representative for transfer of property
- Cooling off period ends
- Contract goes unconditional
STEP 4 SETTLEMENTS
- Settlement Period begins
- Final inspection of the property for the purchaser
- If owner occupied cancel utilities and forward rent
- If rented a final adjustment of rent is needed
- Settlement occurs and the set date and commissions and fees paid
- Property is handed over to new owners
How to Prepare Your Home For Sale
When conversing with real estate agents you will often find that when they talk to you about buying real estate, they will refer to your purchase as a “home”, yet if you are selling property, they will often refer to it as a “house”. There is a reason for this. Buying real estate is often an emotional decision, but when selling real estate you need to remove emotion from the equation.
You need to think of your house as a marketable commodity. Your goal is to get others to see it as their potential home.
The first step in getting your home ready to sell is to give every room in the house a spring clean, empty all garbage bins, de-mould the bathroom, wash and put away all dishes, vacuum or steam clean carpets if required, remove cobwebs, clean windows inside and out, hang out fresh towels and dust all furnishings, light fittings and surfaces.
Storage space sells and it is worth a lot of money. However, space is not space unless people can see it! So, clear out all of your storage spaces including wardrobes, drawers, shelves and cupboards. Have a garage sale to get rid of all of the items you no longer want or need. Donate items that are still in good condition to charity. Start in the kitchen, and work your way through the rest of the house. Eradicate the clutter from every nook and cranny!
Complete any minor maintenance tasks you have been putting off for a while, leaking taps, squeaky or sticking doors, missing door handles or knobs, replace blown light globes and touch up any paint patch marks or blemishes.
Maintain the current landscaping, add low maintenance drought resistant plants, mow the lawns, edge the drive and pathways, trim trees and shrubs especially ones that block your window and diminish light, clean guttering, paint front fence and front door if required, remove vehicles from driveway, high pressure clean your garage floor, paths and driveway. Ensure the entry is clean and welcoming.
Think about the display homes you have walked through over the years. Lights are on, blinds are up, soft music might be playing, fresh fragrances might fill the air. Those kinds of touches tend to appeal positively to all the senses of a buyer looking at your home. That is exactly what you should try to achieve.
At G.J McDonald & Co. Real Estate we pride ourselves on being able to promote our clients’ properties in the most prominent and effective ways. We have long been the innovators and leaders in this area. High profile signage, distinctive advertising in the Weekly Review and Feature Property listing on the country’s most visited real estate web site, realestate.com.au, means that we can Sell your property quickly and get a competitive price for your home.
Our internet sites include: